Giving Tuesday – The Power of Us
“Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.”
– Helen Keller
Everyone has something to give and every act of generosity counts. Be a part of the global generosity movement and celebrate all acts of giving. By giving to Young Women LEAD for Giving Tuesday or throughout the year, you help us continue to give high school girls an opportunity to discover their confidence and abilities, and pursue their dreams. The need to develop leadership skills in teenage girls is staggering:
- Only 3.3% of organizations’ charitable gifts and 1.6% of individuals’ giving went to nonprofits dedicated to women and girls.
- 27% of workers in STEM-qualified industries are women. Women made, on average, 19% less than men in STEM-qualified industries in 2019.
- 39% of girls said they want to be leaders, when asked.
- 63% of women identified weight as the key factor in determining how they felt about themselves – more important than family, school or career. Other research suggests that 86% of all women are dissatisfied with their bodies and want to lose weight.
- 25% of high school girls have been abused physically or sexually. Teen girls who are abused this way are six times more likely to become pregnant or contract a sexually transmitted infection.
- 33% plus of teenage girls experience a first episode of depression – and that’s almost three times the rate for boys.
- 26% of girls who spent six hours a day or more on social media reported being unhappy. For many, social media is how they measure and compare their popularity, social acceptance and appearance.
Tell a girl she can succeed. And she will.
Join us in our movement to empower young women to be bold, fearless, and lead with confidence. Young Women LEAD is grateful for our faithful supporters. Thanks to you, we’re able to build confidence in girls in grades 9 through 12 and encourage them to explore the careers their hearts’ desire. There are many ways you can support Young Women LEAD with your time, talents or a monetary donation.
Special shout outs to:
- Teachers, administrators and guidance counselors who introduce girls to Young Women LEAD!
- Parents who grasp the impact we’re making on their daughters’ lives and sign those permission slips!
- Volunteers who tout our events via social media, in schools, with sponsors — and then roll up their sleeves to make the events happen!
- Young professional women of SOAR whose vision and dedication brought — and continues to bring — Young Women LEAD to life!