Young Women LEAD at the University of Louisville
11/01 @ 8:30 am - 12:15 pm
Toyota and Young Women LEAD invite high school girls to Be The Change at this year’s Young Women LEAD hosted at the University of Louisville
The YWL conference presented by Toyota is for high school girls and focuses on Leadership, Education and Development (LEAD). The conference features interactive keynotes, STEAM panel speakers, community and business leaders, and more. The conference is FREE to all participants. YWL teaches important skills needed to be successful in the workforce and ways to develop confidence and leadership potential.
This year’s conference will feature keynote presenter Julie Carrier. Julie has been recognized as the #1 Global Coach for Young Women and is the trusted authority on leadership development and confidence for girls and young women worldwide. Julie Carrier is leading a movement to “empower those who empower girls and empower girls to empower each other.”
All attendees will have the opportunity to send a postcard to space with Blue Origin’s Club for the Future. Each attendee will receive a postcard that Club for the Future will launch into space and back on a New Shepard rocket and return to you stamped “Flown to Space.”
What: Young Women LEAD Conference
When: Wednesday, November 1 from 8:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
Location: University of Louisville, Swain Student Activities Center Ballroom, 2100 S Floyd Street, Louisville, Kentucky 40208
- Registration is FULL.
- Registration will close at noon Wednesday, October 25 or once we reach capacity. Whichever is first.
- Attendees should register themselves as the registration includes questions regarding students’ goals for attending the conference.
- We encourage early registration as registration is first-come, first-served and limited to the first 600 students.
- The cost is FREE
- All attendees must have a signed Liability Waiver to attend the event. No one will be permitted to attend the event without a signed waiver.
- NOTE: Lunch will NOT be provided.
- As part of this year’s conference, we will be conducting a shoe drive challenge in collaboration with WaterStep.
- WaterStep collects gently used shoes to support life-saving water projects around the globe.
- Every 3 pairs of shoes donated provides safe drinking water for 1 person for life.
- Let’s work together to fill the WaterStep van with 500 pairs of shoes!
Event Specific Emergency Action Plan:
- There are AEDs onsite throughout the building, and staff in the building are CPR/AED certified.
- In an emergency, we encourage patrons to call 911 first, then use the Manager on Duty phone to contact building staff to assist with the emergency responders arriving at the correct location within the facility.
- 8:30 – 9:00 Registration/Opening Activity/DJ, Swain Student Activities Center Ballroom
- 9:00 – 9:15 Welcome & Introductions
- Emcee: Marian Vasser Assistant Vice President for Inclusive Excellence and Belonging
- University of Louisville Welcome – President Kim Schatzel
- Toyota Welcome
- 9:15 – 10:15 Keynote: Julie Carrier
- 10:15 – 10:45 University of Louisville Career and Resource Fair
- 10:45 – 10:55 Dance with DJ Destiny
- 10:55- 11:30 Why Consider STEAM?
- Moderator: Monique Quarterman, Deputy Executive Director of KY Innovation
- Jamaia Daughtery – Grace M. James Academy of Excellence
- Nikki Lanier, Harper Slade, CEO
- Mahogany Mayfield, Arts and Culture Consultant
- Sienna Shacklette, Speed School of Engineering
- Jasmyne Thornton, Toyota Motor Manufacturing
- Paige Weaver, Toyota Motor Manufacturing
- Dr. Monica Wendel -Health Promotion and Behavioral Sciences
- 11:30 – 12:15 Closing Session: Dr. Jabani Bennett and Julie Carrier
- 12:15 DJ/Book Signing/Dismissal/Selfie Station